Compensatory damages will compensate you for your personal injury in California.

You were recently injured in an accident in California, and now you’re wondering what kind of compensation, or damages, you may be eligible to collect. One type is called compensatory damages. By learning more about compensatory damages and hiring a personal injury lawyer, you may be able to retrieve the settlement you deserve.

What Are Compensatory Damages?

Compensatory damages are a type of compensation that a defendant will pay to the victim of a personal injury accident. They include economic damages such as medical bills, loss of wages, and damage to personal items, along with non-economic damages like pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and emotional distress. Your personal injury lawyer will be able to calculate your compensatory damages and then make a demand with the defendant to hopefully get you a settlement.

What Are Punitive Damages?

Punitive damages could be — but are rarely — awarded to a victim in addition to compensatory damages. They are meant to punish the defendant for outrageous behavior to stop them and others from engaging in the same acts again. There must be clear and convincing evidence of malice, oppression, or fraud to win punitive damages. A driver who knowingly got behind the wheel while they were drunk or high and then injured someone could possibly be liable for paying punitive damages.

How to Increase Your Chances of Getting a Settlement

Along with hiring a personal injury lawyer, make sure that you stay on top of your medical treatment, collect witness statements, take photos at the scene of the accident, and report it to the police. Find out from experts if the insurance company is offering you a fair settlement.

Contacting Timmons, Tichy, Phenix & Jansen, Inc.

If you’ve been injured in an accident, then contact the personal injury attorneys Timmons, Tichy, Phenix & Jansen, Inc. at (916) 444-0321 for a free consultation. We look forward to hearing from you.

Get Started

Contact us to speak with an experienced attorney today.

Related Posts