When you get injured in an accident, you could be eligible for damages that would cover the bills you now have to pay because of the injury. With the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer, you can pursue the maximum damages so that you can have peace of mind that your finances won’t be ruined because of the accident.
Here are the types of damages you may receive.
Compensatory damages will reimburse you for the costs you incurred because of your injury. They include money for:
- Medical bills, like prescription drug costs and the costs for doctor’s appointments
- Expenses related to repairing your damaged property, like your car
- Loss of wages, if you had to take time off work to recover
- Loss of earning capacity, if you now earn less from your injury
- Pain and suffering, if you experienced mental anguish from your injury
- Loss of enjoyment of life, if you can’t enjoy activities you used to love
- Physical impairment or disfigurement
Some of these are straightforward, such as your medical bills and loss of wages. Some are not, like pain and suffering. A lawyer will be able to calculate both for you.
You could potentially receive punitive damages if the defendant’s behavior was incredibly egregious or negligent. For example, someone might have been drinking and driving when they crashed into your car and injured you. Punitive damages are not common, but if they could apply, then your lawyer will go after them.
Contacting Timmons, Tichy, Phenix & Jansen, Inc.
If you’ve been in an accident and you want to see if you could receive damages, then contact the personal injury attorneys Timmons, Tichy, Phenix & Jansen, Inc. at (916) 444-0321 for a free consultation. We look forward to hearing from you.